[opendtv] Re: McAdams On: TV Everywhere, Why Aereo Wins the PR War...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:59:08 -0400

On Jul 16, 2013, at 2:25 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> You need a user interface for watching TV that makes it easy to
>> select the stuff you watch routinely, and a robust search
>> capability that lets you find content on any server you have
>> legal access to. Thus, if you pay for HBO via your MVPD, the
>> search engine should let you find HBO programming on any
>> Internet server.
>
> You're still stuck on the MVPD.

No Bert. You are still wishing the MVPDs away. They are still a fact of life
and will be for years to come.

But my example was for a premium service, HBO. This is an added tier even on
MVPD systems. As HBO is not part of any MVPD bundle, it "might" be in a better
position than the networks or cable channels to move to a premium OTT service.
If they did, you would still pay for the service, and require authentication
for any device that attempts to connect to it.

> It does not take a lot of tweaking to existing web search engines to do
> exactly what you ask for, especially if you unshackle yourself from the
> walled garden MVPD model. That's my point, here and in the other similar
> threads. Internet TV un-walls the MVPD model. You can emulate the walled-in
> MVPD situation, by subscribing to just one for-pay OTT site, but there is no
> reason to limit yourself that way anymore.

Sounds great! Sign me up for hundreds of free channels and free VOD.

Unfortunately, you continue to ignore reality.

> It's just not that difficult a concept. The problem seems to be that most
> people can't divorce "TV content" from "walled in MVPD."

No Bert, millions of people would like to see THAT divorce. But the content and
distribution oligopolies understand the leverage they have with just a small
percentage of the content they offer. And then there is the other reality -
divorces can be very messy and very expensive.