[opendtv] Re: WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:11:11 -0700

>I suspect that by now, most of them have figured it out. It might seem like
good marketing hype to advertise such a thing as digital cable-ready, but
when the consumer finds out that's not true, he's likely to return it and
get his money back.

True. However I don't see people doing that on many of the HDTV/DTV tuner
card forums. I do see lots of people saying 'it should be in the clear',
'complain to <your provider>' and 'you should get the locals unencrypted'.

I also see a lot of 'it's the broadcaster's fault' type rants and
blame-games. I can't tell if the people doing this have a vested interest
with the company selling the card, but I will say that a lot of them are
full of it yet held in high esteem. To me that's the blind misleading the
blind.

>We went through this years ago with so-called "VSB/QAM" demod chips. Maybe
at the time, some of those chipmakers just didn't know. Or maybe they
figured the small incremental cost to add QAM to an 8-VSB was worthwhile to
somebody somewhere. That one always puzzled me -- if you can't use the QAM
feature, how can it have any value? Either leave it out, or add the
out-of-band demod and CableCard interface so that it truly is digital
cable-ready.

Even if there somehow was a card with a cablecard interface, it still
wouldn't fly - there is no secure video path to the display. Ofcourse,
solutions like our SVP processor address this, but I can't see a consumer
going out and buying a new video card *and* a tuner card at the same time,
let alone the fact that such a solution will never happen because the user
has too much control over the system (well, perhaps under palladium, or via
a solution that only works on PC devices and isn't used for broadcast
(pirates and hackers don't need a testbed)). The only other option is
loop-through, but that means analog VGA, and we can't have that now can we
(besides the fact that displays are getting higher in resolution and for all
intent purposes loop-through VGA kind of.. well.. sucks).

Cheers
Kon