[opendtv] Re: WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:44:06 -0700

>From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:15:58 -0400
>
>But I'm not yet subscribing to Comcast in anything
>more than the limited basic that I get at a negative cost with my
>broadband service so there may still be filters on my line.  I'll
>experiment more when I get the time.  But I can now receive and
>(usually) record ABC, NBC, and CBS from QAM HD cable.

Consider yourself lucky. So far you are getting a free ride without any
negative repercussions. You should be aware, however, that technically this is
what is called "passive theft of service." Passive, because the services you
are receiving for free are due to faulty cable operator procedures. I wouldn't
be surprised if there is little or no enforcement activity yet in this area of
unencrypted QAM local DTV broadcast channels, because it is so new and the
percentage of people doing it (viewing QAM HDTV without subscribing to digital
cable) is so small. I also wouldn't be surprised if eventually either (1) they
start encrypting those channels (as many operators already do) or (2) you get a
very polite letter from Comcast asking you to subscribe to digital cable if you
want to continue enjoying their HDTV service.

Perhaps the makers of these cards should include a disclaimer stating that the
use of the card to receive digital cable services without a subscription is
illegal.

-- Frank Eory