[opendtv] Re: WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:49:19 -0700

From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:13:59 -0700

>But that's all (rephrase: anything worth watching is) encrypted and I'll bet
>my two front teeth that the card has no CAM.

Yes, anything other than the MSO's own promotional channel and possibly the PPV
preview channel is encrypted. For all practical purposes, there is no such
thing as "QAM in the clear" on U.S. digital cable networks.

If this card DID have a CAM, and it's intended for the U.S. market, the CAM
would have to be a "CableCard."

>When will these jokers learn?

I suspect that by now, most of them have figured it out. It might seem like
good marketing hype to advertise such a thing as digital cable-ready, but when
the consumer finds out that's not true, he's likely to return it and get his
money back.

We went through this years ago with so-called "VSB/QAM" demod chips. Maybe at
the time, some of those chipmakers just didn't know. Or maybe they figured the
small incremental cost to add QAM to an 8-VSB was worthwhile to somebody
somewhere. That one always puzzled me -- if you can't use the QAM feature, how
can it have any value? Either leave it out, or add the out-of-band demod and
CableCard interface so that it truly is digital cable-ready.

-- Frank