[opendtv] Re: WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:00:14 -0700

From: "Kon" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:11:11 -0700

>>It might seem like
>>good marketing hype to advertise such a thing as digital cable-ready, but
>>when the consumer finds out that's not true, he's likely to return it and
>>get his money back.

>True. However I don't see people doing that on many of the HDTV/DTV tuner
>card forums. I do see lots of people saying 'it should be in the clear',
>'complain to <your provider>' and 'you should get the locals unencrypted'.

What is so funny is the idea that some people think they should get digital
cable -- at least the local channels -- for free. Cable TV is pay-TV and it's
irrelevant that some of the programming is also available off-air for free. You
don't get the locals for free on the analog cable tier, so what makes people
think they should be free on the digital tier? These are probably the same
people who once subscribed only to cable modem ISP service and discovered that
they could also get the analog TV tier on their cable-ready TV sets -- and then
assumed they had a right to that freebie. BTW, I don't think that trick works
on very many cable systems anymore.

>Even if there somehow was a card with a cablecard interface, it still
>wouldn't fly - there is no secure video path to the display.

Yes, there are security rules and tamper-proofing rules associated with
plug-and-play devices so that pristine video cannot be intercepted and recorded
on its way to the display. It's manageable in an integrated DTV set or an STB,
but a lot trickier in the open environment of a PC. I don't see how HDTV tuner
cards for PCs will be able to meet the requirements.

-- Frank