[opendtv] Re: Multi-band TV receiver and DVB-H

  • From: Doug McDonald <dtvmcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:09:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Doug,
>
> The main reason DVB-H was designed as a spec was for
> low power consumption.
> Are you telling me that the 4th generation Lynx or
> 5th generation Zenith, or
> Nth generation ATI/Nxtwave chips, with their acres
> of silicon devoted to
> equalization processing, are low power?

No. What I'm saying is that you can make a system
that does not have to follow the dynamic multipath
the whole time, only for as long after a training
sequence as necessary to read the "robust"
portion of the signal. This means that you don't have
to do all the processing at real time .... you simply
have to have a full time digitized stream to
work on. Once you recognize the trainings sequence,
you can simply ignore the data you don't want,
BEFORE you do the equalization. And the equalization
need not be real time ... if you need data only 1/16
of the time, you can run the processor at 1/16
the speed that would be needed for full processing.
And that means much less power.

Doug McDonald

=====
Doug McDonald
my last name at scs dot uiuc dot edu, not here at Yahoo, please