[opendtv] WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:56:17 -0400

If I can be serious for one moment, my advise to you (and others) would
be to wait until the 5th generation (I would specifically point the the
Zenith 5th as being a good target point for acceptable performance).
There is a world of difference in demonstrated "real world" performance
(I will provide personal witness to this fact), and I dare say that the
5th generation solves most of the multipath issues (Mark Schubin, if you
could get Zenith to come to your place with the product I have seen and
used your problems could well be licked! Really!). There may be other
issues that impede the ability to receive (selectivity, sensitivity,
AGC, etc.), but from what I have witnessed, the 5th generation provides
acceptable performance in multipath environments at (a SWAG) ~95% of
locations.

Hows THAT for a statement?

Having given this advise to my friend John (and one of the other Marks),
I would add to this entire trail of a discussion... Had the 5th
generation performance I have witnessed in the "real world" been the
norm for 2nd generation product, and had consumer product "hype" met the
target promised, the transition would be in an entirely different phase
of evolving. Anyone who thinks that there has been stalling and
continues to try to pin that one on "Broadcasters" as a group simply is
ignorant of the facts!

Rapidly changing market conditions happen every day...

--

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

" Never talk defeat. Use words like
hope, belief, faith, victory."
~ ~ Norman Vincent Peale ~ ~

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.