[opendtv] Re: WAS: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: Frank & Palmer Eory <fpeory@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 19:29:17 -0700

From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:24:24 -0400
>Frank -
>
>I don't believe I am stealing anything. Comcast specifically states
>on their web page that you do not have to subscribe to digital cable
>to receive HDTV. The only extra charge in most areas is to rent the
>STB unless you want premium stations.

Again, congratulations. Different MSOs have different pricing policies for
HDTV. Some include local HD channels for free with digital cable. Mine (Cox)
follows that model, and also includes the premiums in HD at no extra charge
for those I already subscribe to in SD. Others charge extra for HDTV,
period.Your example is the first I've heard of where HDTV local channels are
included with a limited basic cable subsription.

>Would you feel the same way about the legality of what I was doing if
>I had an integrated TV with QAM tuner that could receive these same
>channels?

How I feel about the legality of it has nothing to do with the law. MSOs
policies are not all the same, and the law is somewhat vague about passive
theft of service. But the fact is, there will soon be significant numbers of
integrated DTV sets with QAM tuners in the homes of consumers, plugged into
cable. I wonder what those MSOs who fail to scramble the local HDTV
broadcastchannels will do about that. HDTV is costing them significant
bandwidth -- bandwidth that could be used for additional DOCSIS channels,
VOD/PPV channels or telephony. They certainly hope to get some benefit from
HDTV -- either additional revenue or reduced churn. I'm sure they do not
intend to provide HDTV services so they can increase the number of
low-dollarlimited basic subs, as opposed to increasing the number of digital
subs and especially premium digital subs.

-- Frank