[opendtv] Re: Visit at Best Buy

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:23:27 -0500

Ralph,

I see your point, but I think the heavy promotion of OTA digital will occur
near the end of the transition, when 5G STBs or their ilk are available
widely.  This type of promotion will consist of "if you wish to continue to
receive OTA programming after XXXX, you need to purchase a Digital Tuner."

Until then, only those who purchase an HD monitor will care about a digital
STB.  If a consumer currently receives only analog OTA on an NTSC monitor,
why would they even want to run out and buy an STB today?  Would you
recommend someone who does not own an HD monitor to go out and buy an STB
today?  Perhaps, if they wish to view the multicasts out there, but my
answer would be "not yet."

Regards,

John