[opendtv] Re: Visit at Best Buy

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:21:54 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> Doug,
>
> How did you know which direction to point your antenna for each station in
> the first place?  Did you hear it promoted on the station's analog station?
> No, you looked it up somewhere or called the station to ask.   The same
> effort would also tell you what the physical digital channel number is, if
> you needed that information.  I'm saying the majority don't need to know
> that information, or at best only need it one time, so we don't need to
> actively promote the information.
>
> John Shutt

You need to promote it actively ... just not on the air.

You need ... as do all stations in a market ... to be sure
that all the usual suspects that sell TV sets such as Best Buy,
Circuit City, WalMart, etc., have a poster that tells what
stations arer what, digitally, and where they are. You need
the info prominently shown on you web site. Etc.

How did I find out where the stations were?  Well, this was
decades ago. I found out what direction they were by rotating
an antenna. I found out exactly where by basically assuming that
the huge towers I saw (they are all but one right beside I-74
or I-72) were them. The next to last one I had to call the station,
since it has a pathetic tower. The last (digital) one does not
yet exist ... I assume it will be where the FCC says it will be.

Doug McDonald