[opendtv] Re: Sparkle

  • From: cooleman@xxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 14:36:38 +0100

HDR can be coded in 8 bits as well as 10, 12, or more. BBC did experiments,though their production is 10 bits so HLG was a good fit in its standard production environment. Why would it be derived from the 10 bits version, straight from post is more likely. As for distribution Dolby sticks to 12 Bits, but its PQ is used in 10 bits (SMPTE ST2084/ITU BT.2100), practically it is all focussed on 10 Bits distribution, but in autoconversion at display and perhaps ahead of Mike's distribution boxes it starts and thus ends with 8 bit material.

Craig Birkmaier schreef op 03-12-2016 14:03:

Mike

A point of clarification.

I'm not able to find any formal definition of HDR8. I assume that this
is 8 bit luma and color samples derived from 10 bit HDR source. Is
this correct?

If yes, then you are saying that a good mapping of HDR source into 8
bits can look almost as good as HDR10?

On Dec 2, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Mike Tsinberg <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

FYI:

We compared very carefully HDR10 and HDR8 on the same content and same screens. Yes, if you know where to look you can see regular differences between 8bit and 10bit pictures with or without HDR. However, the differences between HDR8 and HDR10 is extremely hard to see.

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com