[opendtv] Re: Punching Above Its Weight, Upstart Netflix Pokes at HBO - NYTimes.com

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:47:48 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But a connected TV is still DIS-connected from the sources of "live" TV:

Only to the extent that US broadcasters aren't streaming their live signals,
Craig. So what? That's not a technical limitation. In the meantime, for VOD
even from within an MVPD walled garden, an intelligently designed "connected
TV" should be able to take care of that all **by itself**. Internet Protocols
are ALREADY STANDARDIZED. It's not like the CE community needs to figure this
out on their own. They just need to quit thinking that collusion is the only
way to do business. *Plus*, schemes like Windows Media Center, working with an
RF receiver card, can bring together the live streams and recorded stuff. CE
vendors could work on similar software on their own sets.

> You have not been listening. The local VOD servers at cable head ends
> mostly play back pre-produced transport stream files encoded using
> MPEG-2. They are already encoded; the bit rate and QOS are
> predetermined. If a title is available in Sd and HD, there are two
> playout files.

You seem to not understand how these technologies work, Craig. First of all,
even without using IP, what you described, assuming it's accurate, can easily
be improved. Like I said, in a PON, the server knows exactly how many streams
it is feeding out and even what the rest of the PON downstream load is.
Therefore, in principle, that VOD server can adjust the bandwidth of its
individual streams accordingly. No need for IP! Doing this with IP can automate
the process right out of the box, but it's HARDLY a critical new feature.

> You condemn the legacy practices like MVPD bundles,

You obviously don't read. I never condemned bundles. I condemn only walled
gardens. YOU are the one who (illogically) condemns bundles.

>> The MVPD MPEG-TS broadcast bandwidth still fits this 1970s description.

> The only similarity is that the MVPDs still use live streaming program
> schedules, just like broadcasters.

Wow, you keep missing the most important point. Broadcast networks, whether
MPEG-2 TS or analog, become natural walled gardens. Two-way networks do not.
Didn't you get this? In a one-way broadcast, a single entity can, and usually
does, control ALL OF THE SOURCES.

> By definition, you are saying that the FOTA broadcast model is dead;

> And yes, DBS is at a huge competitive disadvantage. They obviously want
> yo keep people watching the streaming channels in the bundles, rather than
> moving to OTT VOD.

Agsin you didn't read. All of these intermediaries need to reinvent themselves.
DBS and cable MVPDs into ISPs, potentially also hosting their own OTT sites.
The OTA broadcasters into providing local content and distributed servers.

What diversion? This is what you said:

> They also believe that authentication Is fundamental to the new TV everywhere
> business model they are advancing; pay once, view everywhere...

Do you not understand that this "new TV everywhere" "revolutionary business
model" is used all over the Internet already, by all manner of businesses, at
the very least since 1994? How is it not a "no-brainer?"