[opendtv] Re: Punching Above Its Weight, Upstart Netflix Pokes at HBO - NYTimes.com

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:16:52 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> In listening to the Comcast rep on the Streaming Media panel, it sounds
> like they made the decision in 2008 to start moving their VOD services
> to IP delivery. They have six regional hubs where IP streams are hosted
> - it was not clear from his presentation if they are adding edge servers
> in each market, but this would clearly make sense as more traffic moves
> from the "live" QAM side of the plant to IP VOD side.

QAM is use regardless, over the coax portions of the HFC plant.

The only meaningful question is this: In pre-IP VOD, do these "regional hubs"
download their VOD content to a distributed set of servers, at head-ends
throughout the MVPD network, or do individual VOD users have to send their
requests way upstream, to the "regional hub?" If the latter is true, the system
would be hopelessly limited. (Maybe they are hopelessly limited? You seem to
say they are, but I'm not sure how true that is.)

IF legacy VOD requests go to a distributed set of VOD servers at head-ends,
then there shouldn't be a big difference in network bandwidth required for VOD,
whether IP is used or not.