[opendtv] Re: Punching Above Its Weight, Upstart Netflix Pokes at HBO - NYTimes.com

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:46:00 -0500

> On Feb 26, 2014, at 5:47 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Only to the extent that US broadcasters aren't streaming their live signals,
> Craig. So what? That's not a technical limitation.

You are reading too much into what I wrote. By disconnected, I mean that one
cannot easily move between the input sources for these smart TVs. A case in
point.

I have a brand new smart TV from LG. I almost never use the integrated smart TV
features because they are all duplicated by my Apple TV, and they are not
integrated with the other services. So the cable STB is on HDMI input 1; the
Apple TV is on HDMI input 2; the DVD player is on the component input. And the
ATSC tuner is on an antenna input. The cable remote can control all of these
devices except the Apple TV, and some of the smart TV features. There is
nothing I can do to push one button and get to Netflix; that's 5-6 button
pushes on two remotes if the TV was last used with the cable STB.

You have a similar dilemma. The FOTA antenna is on one input; your PC us on
another. You may have other devices on other inputs.

In short, everything is still disconnected.

As long as you need a proprietary cable STB to play in their walled garden
these worlds are not integrated. Not at the UI level; not at the search level;
and not at the authentication level.

Comcast is seeking to solve part of this problem by integrating their
proprietary digital cable services (with hardware DRM), with their proprietary
IP services; as a bonus they provide access to some OTT services.

The only way third party STBs, game consoles, etc. can play is currently with a
cable card.

The MVPDs have held the FCC at bay with lame DRM solutions that make
competition impractical, while they keep charging monthly fees for STBs and the
DVR feature built into some models.

It is interesting that the MVPDs are not as concerned about security, when
they, and the content owners, allow access to their walled garden content via
the Internet; all you need is a user name and password, which you can share
with friends and family.

Why "Katy bar the door" with DRM to access their video channels, but lax
security for Internet access to some of the same exclusive content?

Have you figured this out yet Bert?

Could it be they already have your money?

Well not Bert's, because he refuses to pay. This is something I have no problem
with - it's a personal choice.

The MVPD subscription is where the big bucks are; a little leakage via the
Internet is small change; you are using a username/password from someone that
may be sending them $100/mo or more. Using your parents password after you move
out of the house is akin to staying on their health insurance policy until you
are 26.

There are any companies with the ability to re-invent the User a Interface to
The TV.  Intel tried, gave up, and sold to Verizon. The rest are playing around
the edges, with the kind of on tent bundles Bert likes - all filled with
content licensed from the content congloms.

Did you read this passage from the Knowledge @Wharton piece, in the comments of
Professor Faulhaber?

> But with the new competitive market, the content providers have been getting
> a lot more money recently. They can sell to Hulu, Netflix, AT&T U-Verse and
> Verizon, and prices for content have been going up. If Comcast-Time Warner
> [gains] more power over content providers, I am not going to object to that —
> the [content providers] have been raising their prices for the last year. A
> little payback wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Actually they have been raising prices for the past two decades. Will
Comcast/NBC use it's new muscle to cut better deals for its customers, or for
itself?  Will they raise the subscriber fees for NBC channels, moving the money
from one pocket to the other, while increasing these fees for the MVPD
subscribers they do not control?