[opendtv] Re: News: Television industry faces dark times

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:05:25 -0700

So, manual overrides are the answer?  This would be so simple to do
automatically if
1)  PSIP was closely bound to station presentation systems (preferably on a
frame-accurate basis)
2)  Tivo, etc relied on PSIP.

No human intervention required.  With just a few simple constraints on PSIP
(having to do with the scope of the event_id field), the units could even
track swapping or moving episodes without need for an external EPG.  No
change required to the PSIP spec, either, since it wouldn't conflict with
any provision in the spec.

The mechanism exists today in PSIP; the big hang-up is the tie-in to
automation/program management.  And, the current 'less than full embrace' of
PSIP by station/network management/business folk.

As for playing roles, I'm talking to folk, while looking towards what "fresh
hell" mobile and handheld will bring about.

John Willkie