[opendtv] Re: News: Television industry faces dark times

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:29:20 -0700

Both of you are engaged in legacy thinking.

When Fox extends the end of the "American Idol" finale beyond the scheduled
closing time -- on the fly on the East Coast -- just how does a Tivo record
the actual winner to disk?

(hint: it doesn't.)

When the game goes into double overtime, how does Tivo get the most critical
moment of the basketball game.

(hint: it doesn't.)

Tivo records the length of the projected show, not the actual length.

The "fixes" are complicated and many (Tivo doesn't use PSIP, so 'just'
fixing PSIP doesn't solve the problem.)

John Willkie