[opendtv] Re: News: Television industry faces dark times

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:11:00 -0400

At 9:03 AM -0700 7/17/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
With DVD recorders (w/ or w/o hard disks) and VCRs, you can extend a record time beyond the scheduled recording in case it goes long. I do this with every sporting event I tape. Can you not do this with a MVPD's PVR?

Dan

Yes. With the Scientific Atlanta PVR, when you mark an event in the program guide for recording, it opens up a dialog that allows you to modify the standard settings. You can change the scheduled beginning or ending time and the number of days the program is saved to disk. You can also choose to record future episodes of of a series - I'm not sure if this is based on the program guide or just a daily or weekly repeat in the same time slot. The Tivo is smart enough to record random events of the same program, to find similar programs, or programs with a an actor or actress you like.