[opendtv] Re: News: Television industry faces dark times

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:49:26 -0400

At 8:29 AM -0700 7/16/08, John Willkie wrote:
Both of you are engaged in legacy thinking.
When Fox extends the end of the "American Idol" finale beyond the scheduled
closing time -- on the fly on the East Coast -- just how does a Tivo record
the actual winner to disk?

(hint: it doesn't.)

That depends on the person programming the Tivo, or any PVR for that matter. My Scientific Atlanta PVR shows the scheduled recording time for the event. I can easily extend this IF I think the event may run longer than scheduled. I do this all the time when I record sporting events.

By the way, the same is true for programming a VCR.

When the game goes into double overtime, how does Tivo get the most critical
moment of the basketball game.

One could hope that someday there will be a way to signal program overruns in the metadata. You might even play a role in this with your PSIP tools.

(hint: it doesn't.)

Tivo records the length of the projected show, not the actual length.

Again, only if this is how you program it.

The "fixes" are complicated and many (Tivo doesn't use PSIP, so 'just'
fixing PSIP doesn't solve the problem.)

Theproblem is that the folks who produce the PSIP could care less about your PVR - but they might like the ability to shut it off...

;-)