[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:11:19 -0700

That's the fair approach.  What changed that was that directTv and Dish
started offering big dollars for exclusives throughout the complex, and
cable responded.  Finally, the FCC stepped in.

They can still offer the money, they just can't ban others.  What reasonable
apartment builders have done is to provide for three or four (including ota)
distro systems in pre-build, and for $, giving access to one vendor for each
but the ota one.  There are even methods for distributing a digital system
on a non-interfering basis on the same cable as ota distribution.

(There are all sorts of places I can find a need for PSIP generation.)

However, that will have to change, as there are new vendors like AT&T
/Verizon.

John Willkie