[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:48:34 -0500

At 7:41 PM -0500 1/27/10, Cliff Benham wrote:
Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

TV in the Cloud

Jobs appears to have copied 43 year old technology.

Apple's new iPad remarably resembles the "communications tablet" used by
the two astronauts on board the spaceship in "2001: A Space Odyssey", a
film made in 1967.

I wonder if Jobs thought of that device when he designed this new one
that is "supposed to change everything"?

~the Cliff who is more certain now, than ever before that
"Everything olde is new again".

It is one thing to imagine the future; thankfully we have visionary authors, and content producers who cap put some form to our dreams.

It is quite another thing to turn those visions into reality.

Jules Verns imagined flying to the moon; thanks to Von Braun and many others, we accomplished this two years after "2001: A Space Odyssey" hit the big screen.

I bought a Mac in 1984 and used it to help market one of my most notable creations - the GVG Model 100. I was the Pied Piper who helped the computer and television industries transform the process of creating video and new forms of digital media content from expensive proprietary tools into affordable software based platforms that allow almost anyone to share their visions.

If I had told Mike Tsinberg and the rest of the video and CE industry in 1992, that people would be editing HD video programs on their MacBook Pros by 2007, I would have been told I was crazy. Actually most of these folks did think I was crazy.

I guess one reason I have so much respect for what Jobs and Apple have done, is that I have a pretty good understanding of just how hard it is to turn visions into reality.

Rergard