[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:41:48 -0800

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So as you can see, the spectrum required in the wireless parts of the cell
> network is not used any more efficiently here than it would be unicasting
> that video. The advantage of IP multicast is only in the backhaul network. On
> the other hand, if the cell phone uses a broadcast-only chunk of spectrum,
> one which does not eat into cell tower's two-way link capacity, that's when
> you'll see the advantage.

That is becoming factually incorrect. The latest versions of Flash
player (yes, Flash player) have the ability to use peer to peer
broadcasting and *cough* IP Multicast. The same versions are identical
in features on all platforms including set top boxes and mobile. Cell
phones are becoming increasingly multi-homed. Heck with my Nokia N900,
the same dial pad makes a cellular or skype call, depending on if I am
connected to wifi or not. I don't think I need say any more than that.

You also forget about HTTP being the new delivery mechanism for live
broadcasts from CDNs, where any HTTP cache can cache content at any
edge location.

This harping on one broadcast mechanism being the only one is going
the way of the dinosaur, just as with the broadcasters failing to
embrace diverse data services to devices.

Cheers
Kon