[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:18:27 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I don't watch much stuff from the broadcast networks, and I don't
> watch most of the cable channels that I pay for each month. If I
> can get the content I want to watch for less than the $70/mo I am
> now paying I will likely drop cable and move to an ala carte
> approach to buying media content.

For the broadcast content, at least, you can now get it for free, with only a
handful of 30-second ad breaks, from the TV networks' own web sites. Why would
anyone ballyhoo an Apple service that sells those at exorbitant rates per
episode? Do you PREFER to pay for TV content, even when the networks provide it
for free?

> These programs are NOT free of charge - they are still filled
> with commercials.

Maybe 5 commecials per episode, each one 30 seconds long. I would completely
agree that they probably don't pay for themselves this way, however as of now,
they do exist.

> And there have been many recent indications that Hulu and others
> are going to start charging for the service - you can bet that
> the ads will still be there.

P R E C I S E L Y ! !

When and if we have to pay, the ads will either be there from the start, or the
ads will appear in short order. So I ask once again, why is it that we're
supposed to be celebrating the Apple model, charging for content that is now
available free of charge?

What a racket.