[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:59:10 -0800

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Being a futurist is a simple occupation. You make outlandish claims --
>> if they are correct you are lauded for it, if they are not.. no-one
>> will remember and you save face.
>
> No, that is the stuff of palm readers and the like.

Well no. Palm readers predict the future based on a model of zero
knowledge. Futurists predict it based on defined trends. So yes, it is
a simple occupation since the trends are well defined. These days,
anyone in the technical field can easily predict roughly where
technology will lead us to a greater or lesser extent.

>> The iPad looks to me like those remotes they sell online for grandma
>> and grandpa.. with the oversize buttons
>
> Limited vision.
>
> You are trying to draw a parallel between a purpose built piece of hardware
> versus a programmable device limited only by the visions of those who will
> exploit it.

You need to lighten up, Craig. Interestingly, your last phrase is
spoken like a true 5% market Apple fanboy.

Apple did not invent the tabletpc. However, they certainly did limit
it and make it look pretty.

Here let me revise that then - the iPad is an iPod Touch Jumbo Edition.

In order to drive computing to new platforms they need to be more
flexible than our existing and limited desktop platforms. A walled
garden vendor-lock-in-model app store device is not going to do that
in the long run. Put that in your futurist pipe and smoke it.

Cheers
Kon