[opendtv] Re: News: TV Braces for the Apple Tablet

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:29:10 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> Once bandwidth costs become sufficiently low I don't see
> any reason why the equivalent of broadcast network shows
> should not again be available as (almost) free ad supported
> content on the Internet.  We pay for the broadband delivery
> costs separately already.  Any content that is expected to
> attract sufficient eyeballs should also be expected to
> attract sufficient advertisers at the right prices.

Amen to that, Tom. And also, this fits within the ad-supported model of the
very vast majority of all web content today, so I don't see any reason why we
should assume that TV content will of necessity be different from all the rest.

TV network content has always been ad-supportable, here and elsewhere, and so
is Internet content. It seems very logical to assume that this will continue,
even if other ways of acquiring it for pay will also emerge, such as the DVD
box sets or other ad-free variants.