[opendtv] Re: News: Netflix Partner Says Comcast 'Toll' Threatens Onli

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:56:11 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Given the design of most cable plants, it is relatively easy to
> provision higher speed broadband to the home.

No, it's not, and it's also a labor-intensive process. However, do feel free to
provide the detail necessary to back up your assertion.

> Most cable companies added the fibers to the neighborhoods over
> the past decade;

PONs, Craig. They installed PONs. And they have to have a backhaul network to
tie together the neighborhood PONs. There's nothing trivial about upgrading
these nets to accommodate high average loads, as opposed to accommodating the
previous high peak loads only.

> We agree that the costs to provision HD capable broadband service
> will be paid by the customer in the form of higher rates. The real
> question here is whether the ISPs will be allowed to add on
> ADDITIONAL fees for connection to specific networks and/or servers?

This thread was about Comcast trying to get the needed revenue from Netflix,
and therefore indirectly from Netflix subscribers only. So, this is not an
ADDITIONAL fee at all. This is the way of differentiating service.

Here's a fundamental point to consider: the concept of network QoS is totally
meaningless if it doesn't go hand in hand with differentiated COSTS OF SERVICE.
All we are talking about here is how you differentiate the cost of service, for
different categories of subscribers.