[opendtv] Re: News: Netflix Partner Says Comcast 'Toll' Threatens Onli

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 19:52:07 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Just look at the capital investment in the cable plants over the
> past decade. Yes it was labor intensive. But that investment was
> made and the infrastructure is in place.

No, actually. Some of it might be, but the EPONs first installed had to be
upgraded to GPONs, and in the next few years they will be upgrading to 10GPONs.
(Look it up.) Cable systems that use HFC will have to move their fiber closer
to homes. All of these systems work basically the same way, where the bandwidth
is aggregated passively as you move upstream. Which means, when high sustained
rates are demanded now, that aggregated capacity has to be increased. This
requires people with shovels and backhoes.

> As for the load factors, that just a network design issue based on
> statistics. As I said before, you simply sub-divide the branches
> as the load goes up.

Which requires shovels and backhoes.

Some are calling for FTTH to become the norm, but that's hardly the whole
story. To be more futureproof, you'd need not just FTTH, but no PONs. You'd
need every home connected in a star topology to central offices, via single
mode fiber. At least that way, speed increases could be accomplished with
equipment upgrades in the COs, perhaps new modems in homes that requewst higher
speeds (user-installed), and upgraded backhaul networks.

But of course, that takes even more initial investment.