[opendtv] Re: News: Netflix Partner Says Comcast 'Toll' Threatens Onli

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 07:17:37 -0500

No, it's not, and it's also a labor-intensive process. However, do feel free to provide the detail necessary to back up your assertion.

Just look at the capital investment in the cable plants over the past decade. Yes it was labor intensive. But that investment was made and the infrastructure is in place. I would also point out that the telcos have dark fiber, that we have been paying for, in my front yard.

PONs, Craig. They installed PONs. And they have to have a backhaul network to tie together the neighborhood PONs. There's nothing trivial about upgrading these nets to accommodate high average loads, as opposed to accommodating the previous high peak loads only.

Those back haul networks were built when they upgraded to 750MHz/1GHz plants to enable the delivery of digital services. If there is a significant opportunity to expand the network to reach new customers, especially business broadband and telephone customers, they will run the fibers and wires in a heartbeat. We just added cable phone and broadband at Swamp Head; but it required a two year contract to help cover the cost of bringing the service to our building.

As for the load factors, that just a network design issue based on statistics. As I said before, you simply sub-divide the branches as the load goes up. This was all designed into the last infrastructure build.

 We agree that the costs to provision HD capable broadband service
 will be paid by the customer in the form of higher rates. The real
 question here is whether the ISPs will be allowed to add on
 ADDITIONAL fees for connection to specific networks and/or servers?

This thread was about Comcast trying to get the needed revenue from Netflix, and therefore indirectly from Netflix subscribers only. So, this is not an ADDITIONAL fee at all. This is the way of differentiating service.

No Bert, it is an additional fee for the ability to connect to and use the Netflix servers.

Here's a fundamental point to consider: the concept of network QoS is totally meaningless if it doesn't go hand in hand with differentiated COSTS OF SERVICE. All we are talking about here is how you differentiate the cost of service, for different categories of subscribers.

Been there done that.

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/centralflorida/internet.cox

Cox offers three pricing level. The descriptions and pricing are from the website:

Essential - $25/mo for 12 months then $37.99/mo
Speeds up to 3 Mbps, ideal for email and simple web surfing.

Preferred - $35/mo for 12 months then $51.99/mo
Speeds up to 15 Mbps with PowerBoost®, great for music and photos.

Premier - $66.99/mo
Speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost®, perfect for gaming and movies.

When you pay this kind of money for different QOS levels, there should be NO shenanigans with respect to the source of the bits.