[opendtv] Re: News: Netflix Partner Says Comcast 'Toll' Threatens Onli

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:07:07 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The ISPs are already charging more than enough for broadband to
> afford the upgrades to their infrastructure.

As a vague and unsubstantiated comment, who knows, Craig?

From a macro level, there should be no reason to assume that JUST because the
same TV streams that were once transferred over a traditioonal MVPD cable plant
are now migrating to ISP networks, or to the IP portion of the MVPD network,
that protocol difference will automatically result in a cheaper cable plant. Of
course, there are many considerations to be made. However, even leaving the
conglom compensation discussion aside, we shouldn't be surprised to see ISPs
demanding a much bigger fee for connecting to their broadband
network-cum-TV-content, more like their previous MVPD connection fees.

>> This all goes to the previous discussion, where Craig refused
>> to believe that the only significant change in streaming media
>> quality was availability of increased bandwidth. Preferring
>> instead to list all of the streaming media software packages,
>> as if that list explained anything.
>
> You mean the discussion where I proved you were incorrect?

I mean, the discussion where you were trying to convince us that Flash or
Quicktime over a 52 Kbaud dial-up line would look oh so much better now than it
did in the 1990s.

Understanding cause and effect. That seems to be the problem.