[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: Doug McDonald <dtvmcdonald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:35:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> But luckily the eye of the "standard human observer"
> is
> not very sensitive for shades of green, so this was
> not
> a major problem.

Well, sort of. Green and blue green are a fairly
insensitive area, yes, we agree. Whether the
dominant wavelength was 546 or 532 or even 525 would
not really matter much.

BUT ..... unfortunately yellow green is NOT an
insensitive area, and the "new" TV green is
well into the yellow-green area ... it is easily
distinguished from the 1953 NTSC green.

Now what we do ... or should agree ... is that
the huge area in the blue-greens that are seriously
de-saturated by use of a yellowish green is not
terribly important, because nothing in nature
is a highly saturated blue-green. Where the
difference matters is really only in green leaves.

The difference matters .... matters a lot ...
to nature photographers.

Doug McDonald

=====
Doug McDonald
my last name at scs dot uiuc dot edu, not here at Yahoo, please