[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:56:47 -0400

If I were a visitor from outer space, and a human told me
that his birth date was 1 year different from that of the
human standing next to him, this information would mean
little to me, the alien.

So I would probably ask what that meant.

And the human would say something like, "The lifespan
of a human is about 80 years or often more, so 1 year
means we are roughly the same age."

If, on the other hand, the object of age differences
were two hamsters, my human host would explain that the
difference of one year means a lot. Hamsters often live
about 2 years.

What Jeroen and Alan are saying is that the numbers in
the table Jeroen posted, in any conceivable way they
are used, show that the differences are perceptually
insignificant.

The numbers themselves don't say that, just as the
relative age of two people or two hamsters doesn't by
itself mean anything to someone who isn't familiar
with the human or hamster lifecycles, but point is,
both Jeroen and Alan are telling us that these numbers
show insignificant differences.

Bert