[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:00:39 -0400

Weighing in on the color  discussion.

This thread has been very interesting. There are several things I
would like to add from my experience working with these issues.

As a starting point, it is important to note the differences between
display gamuts and encoding space gamuts. The traditional RGB color
space that we are familiar with, thanks to decades of watching CRTs,
has a significantly greater color gamut than NTSC or PAL. Many of us
learned this the hard way from two "life experiences:"

1. Developing or working with video production equipment that
includes color matte/background generators. many of these color
generators were designed WITHOUT color gamut controls, thus they were
able to output "illegal colors" for the NTSC and PAL color encoding
spaces. A waveform monitor and vector scope were required in
production control to make certain that the combination of color
saturation and luminance did not exceed the limits imposed by the
encoding system, and these limits varied based on the selected hue.
We were able to create a software algorithm for control of
matte/background generators in the GVG Model 100 that limited the
output of the generators to ONLY legal colors.

2. Working in the RGB color space of computer graphics systems, many
of which evolved into tools used to create video graphics. The gamut
available in a 24 bit color system (8 bits per RGB channel)
significantly exceeds that of NTSc, PAl and even the REC 709 color
that is used today for HDTV. It is important to note that there is
not a single unique RGB color space for computer graphics; the color
space will vary based on the phosphor primaries used for the display.

The sRGB color space has come to dominate the computing landscape.
This was an unfortunate turn of events, based in large part on the
use of cheap CRT displays re-purposed from TV manufacturing lines.
The sRGB space has strong parallels to the NTSC and PAL color spaces,
due largely to the use of the same phosphor primaries. There are also
issues related to the use of gamma settings that are "video friendly"
rather than taking advantage of the full range of luminance values
possible without the traditional video gamma curves.

Bottom line, there are huge areas of the RGB color gamut that are not
legal with current NTSC/PAL displays and even many HDTV displays.
Educating would be video artists in the fine art of selecting legal
colors became an advocation as a writer covering the emerging world
of PC based graphics in the late '80s and early '90s.

Later, as the TI DLP projectors evolved to provide good performance
in the lower end of the greyscale, we also saw the potential to
expand on the color gamut that could be delivered with these
projectors when primaries were selected that extended the color
gamut. One of the great things about microdisplay projection systems
is that we are not locked into phosphor based primaries. With color
wheels and color filters, almost any primaries can be used. I have
seen many demonstrations of the improved color gamuts that are
possible.

One of the most interesting was at a SMPTE Conference in Pasadena in
the late '90s. The source was an animated movie. Two film-to-tape
transfers were done; one used Rec 709 colorimetry, the other used and
extended RGB gamut. The results on screen were dramatic, with much
more intense color saturation.

Bottom line, there's a world of color out there ready to exploit, if
we choose to. sRGB is a poor choice if we want to take fulll
advantage of that world.