[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: "Tom Tcimpidis" <tgt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:48:36 -0700

That is correct.  The original NTSC 1953 red and green primaries were
further out on the CIE chromaticity diagram than what we use today.  Green
was significantly purer at x .21, y .71, z .08 (today for SD we use .31,
.595, .095) but suffered from severe lag and low brightness, so was quickly
abandoned.  Red was also purer and was, in fact, right on the diagram
boundary at .67, .33, 0 (today it is .63, .34, .03) but suffered from low
brightness and thus was also was replaced by improved "rare earth"
phosphors.

Tom

Behalf Of Henry Baker