[opendtv] Re: New Chips Improve Color TV Dramatically

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:03:36 -0700

Call me dumb, and in need of "visual display of quantitive information."
(cobbed from the title of E. Tufte's book).  Is a perceptually constant
scale quadrille graph paper, or is it mapped to some other set of
coordinates?  Can it be shown in two dimensional space? (like the CIE chart
does badly, I've always been told)  Does perceptually constant imply some
type of log or other complex scales?  Is the scale best represented by dots
of a single color, or is there something better?

I've always been able to say that I had a "rather good" technical
understanding of radio TV broadcasting, with the exception of colorimetry.
The problem might be genetic:  my father, a Navy electronics tech, used to
repair neighbor's TV sets until color came about and dealing with color was
beyond his ken.