[opendtv] McAdams On: TV Everywhere, Why Aereo Wins the PR War...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 23:16:54 +0000

"My query then to Aereo is based on their premise that they should be able to
retransmit broadcast signals for free: So why isn't their service free? Aereo
would be much better off cutting deals with broadcasters to provide free,
universally authenticated service versus milking end-users for a few bucks
apiece."

Interesting question Ms. McAdams asks. My answer to it would be, it's because
Aereo is not being compensated by the ads as the broadcasters are. Which is
also the answer to making schemes such as Aereo legit.

Nielsen is talking about including online viewing their ratings (or has started
doing so). The ISPs themselves could track online TV viewing. So FOTI TV should
conceivably be as viable as FOTA is, for any and all content, live and
otherwise.

For instance, the TV networks and affiliated broadcasters could treat Aereo as
they would a translator station. The broadcasters wouldn't be paying for that
transmitter site, instead they pay Aereo. Then Aereo wouldn't have to ask for
subscription fees. If the additional eyeballs attracted by Aereo can be
quantified, and that part should be well within the state of the art, all of
this should be simple enough.

Another quote:

"Rather than a single, simple, universal interface that provides TV Everywhere
access to all network content, each network and provider has to have its own."

I continue to wonder about this conceptual disconnect, on the part of trade
scribes and probably consumers too. Would anyone expect all restaurants to
share the same site? Banks? Flower shops? Even before TV was on the Internet,
there were all manner of different aggregation media from which TV could be
viewed (OTA, different cable companies, different DBS companies). With Internet
TV, you instead have different OTT sites or portals. I don't see anything
surprising or fundamentally different, EXCEPT that over the Internet, all of
these different portals are accessible to all (save for artificially-induced
geo-location limitations).

I really like the part where Deborah talks about "cloud-based broadcast
facilities." Why not? I would be surprised if TV stations weren't already
started down this path, even if "the cloud" resides mostly inside their own
facilities still.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/mcadams-on/0117/mcadams-on-tv-everywhere-why-aereo-wins-the-pr-war/220293

Deborah D. McAdams /
07.11.2013 09:22AM

McAdams On: TV Everywhere, Why Aereo Wins the PR War...
...and The IP Singularity

SOUND, GARDEN - Television is at the event horizon of an IP singularity. The
singularity is where all content creation and distribution occurs on IP-based
networks. The event horizon is where the chaos happens. As such, there are
profuse moving parts going in multiple and unpredictable directions.

On the end-user side, for example, consider "TV Everywhere," the television
industry's underwhelming appellation for delivering programming to any type of
screen Chinese labor can churn out. The conundrum of TV Everywhere is the same
one unleashed by Napster in 1999-digital content is virtually impossible to
control. Consequently, TV Everywhere is subject to authentication, the types of
which vary like black-hole particle behavior, or a pack of feral cats on Red
Bull.

Rather than a single, simple, universal interface that provides TV Everywhere
access to all network content, each network and provider has to have its own.
That's understandable from their perspective, but a lot of methane for
end-users. I couldn't watch any of the 2008 Beijing Olympics online, for
example, because I was not a cable subscriber. In other words, because I was a
loyal viewer of NBC's over-the-air signal in Los Angeles, I was rewarded by
being locked out of the network's online Olympics coverage.

Now, five years yon, this injustice has been rectified. No, it has not. BTIG
Analyst Rich Greenfield wrote this week about a new TV Everywhere app from ABC
that the local New York affiliate, WABC, has been barking up on taxi-cab TV.

"Unfortunately, there is no way for New York City residents to actually live
stream on the WatchABC app," Greenfield said. "When you pull up live streaming
on the WatchABC app, you are asked to authenticate, but neither Manhattan
MVPD-Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS-allows you to authenticate WatchABC,"
nor does DirecTV nor Dish.

Meanwhile, Aereo is blasting the live signal from WABC and other local
affiliates all over the five boroughs to anyone willing to pay $8 for TV,
everywhere. Aereo doesn't have a huge following yet, and while I've taken issue
with their legal maneuvers, the service appears to be far more user-friendly
than what networks and pay TV providers offer.

My query then to Aereo is based on their premise that they should be able to
retransmit broadcast signals for free: So why isn't their service free? Aereo
would be much better off cutting deals with broadcasters to provide free,
universally authenticated service versus milking end-users for a few bucks
apiece.

Broadcasters are instead trying to sue Aereo into the ground. If that doesn't
work, News Corp. honcho Chase Carey says he'll just pull Fox off the air. Fox
would presumably then become a pay TV network, or maybe an "Internet-only
broadcaster," as TV Technology contributor Wes Simpson theorizes in "Can TV
Broadcasters Really Go OTT?"

Internet broadcasting, though IP-based, is fundamentally different from IPTV,
which telcos have employed for years to deliver television and broadband
service over dedicated networks. (Think NetFlix vs. AT&T's Uverse.) IPTV is
bandwidth efficient because video signals are delivered to the home
individually, versus in a package as they are with cable and satellite.

Internet TV is similarly delivered per individual "request." That's one thing
when watching TV online is "over-the-top" of traditional consumption methods.
It's another matter entirely to think over-the-air broadcasting can be replaced
by OTT via public servers and IP networks that can be brought down by
stampedes. This is not to say it cannot be done. Television delivered
exclusively online is the singularity, (in technical terms-socioeconomic
implications aside). We are at the event horizon, where steps toward the
singularity are being defined by companies like Cisco, for example.

What TV Everywhere currently lacks, Cisco is attempting to bring to at least
one aspect of television-the electronic program guide. Cisco is working on a
cloud-based EPG that uses one HTML5 code for rendering the same user interface
across TVs, smartphones and tablets, according to Videonet. Service providers
get a universal application, and end-users get one, simple, consistent
interface for all their devices.

Cisco's cloud EPG also has implications for an all-Internet TV world as well,
in that it uses predictive analysis to anticipate usage peaks and manage server
capacity. There's nothing particularly new about the concept, but doing it on
the level of universal TV delivery would be unprecedented. Perhaps not for
long, however, given the escalating advances in computer technology,
particularly on the software side. As Tiernan Ray writes in Barrons, even
enterprise computing hardware is being supplanted by software.

"A network switch or router is a specialized computer with specially developed
chips that perform calculations to determine how to direct bits of data between
computers," Ray said. "As complex as they are, some of those calculations can
now be efficiently performed in software running on Intel processors."

It's only a matter of time, and probably not much of it, before this same
concept is applied within the broadcast industry, Joe Zaller writes at
Devoncroft. Zaller describes a broadcast business on an IP event horizon, with
graphics, transcoding, even playout moving from dedicated hardware to software.
As with black holes, the parts are accelerating rapidly. Zaller and others see
a future of fully cloud-based broadcast facilities.

"Some have gone as far as saying their ultimate goal is a 'virtualized
broadcast infrastructure with in-line processing.' In other words, they foresee
a future where the broadcast infrastructure is housed in an IT data center, and
the operations done today primarily by hardware boxes are carried out by
software that plugs in to the IT core.  And by the way, broadcasters probably
won't be building this facility.  Instead, they'll rent computing power on an
as-needed basis from AWS or some other cloud-based service provider."

Some of the barriers now involve bandwidth constraints, incompatible formats in
the absence of standards, and certain security issues as perhaps illustrated by
the recent EAS hack. An all-IP world is by no means perfect, and going from
hardware to software means giving up a certain amount of control-like going
from a manual to an automatic transmission. There will be vulnerabilities and
bugs, as well as capabilities and opportunities not yet imagined. Cisco's
"third eye" for example, which mines TV content metadata to notify viewers of
what's happening on channels they're not watching.

The broadcast business is not going away any time soon, a friend of mine likes
to remind me. It is definitely on the IP event horizon, however, from which
there is now no turning back. The current state of flux and fluid obsolescence
will continue until the singularity is achieved.