[opendtv] Re: McAdams On: TV Everywhere, Why Aereo Wins the PR War...

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:39:31 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Not absurd at all Bert. As Deborah noted, the networks do not want
> to see their business "Napsterized."

True enough, however that particular concern should not apply to FOTA content
that is sent as FOTI. The Napster problem was every Tom, Dick, and Harry making
music available over the Internet without any viable compensation mechanism for
the owners. Instead in the Aereo example, there is a viable compensation
mechanism, because Aereo is redistributing all of the content "as is." The
revenue aspects (ads) included.

So in fact, this is not the same thing as Napster. Napster would be more like
people taking ad-free cable channels and distributing them over the Internet
via BitTorrent.

> And just how would you define a "Universal UI for  TV content?"
>
> Would it include all of the programs you own on physical media, and/or
> programs you have recorded on your DVR?
>
> Would it include the EPG for your MVPD service?
>
> Would it include every possible VOD instance of a program, or just
> those that you can physically and legally access?
>
> Would it include every YouTube video?
>
> It's not quite as simple as you make it sound.

Exactly. Even though I wouldn't include YouTube in the mix, the sentiment
Deborah articulated is what one might expect from an MVPD subscriber who has
been accustomed to just punch a three-number code on some box. And expecting
that same simplistic solution to work for Internet TV, forgetting that Internet
TV is way bigger than any proprietary, single MVPD. I've seen similar comments
from others, wrt Internet TV, so it's not a unique complaint.

The way see it, OTA TV only needed a two-digit channel number for navigating
channels, and perhaps a weekly program guide with your Sunday paper. MVPDs had
to improve on this, because of the much larger choice they offered and added
niceties like VOD in the system. So EPGs were one necessary improvement. But
there is no reason now to expect the next evolutionary step, Internet TV, to
have to live with the restrictions that worked for an MVPD walled garden!