[opendtv] Re: McAdams On: TV Everywhere, Why Aereo Wins the PR War...

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:36:22 -0400

Craig,

Had a photo lab for 26 years. Was in love with Kodachrome and Cibachrome,
did mostly large prints and very large murals. Got involved with digital
very early on working with Nabisco while they tried to use 4x5 digital
backs to shoot cookies and crackers and upload to their main frame. Wanted
to buy a medical scanner for over $100,000 in 1980's money, the only thing
I could find that had a hope of scanning stuff I wanted in digital. Loaned
an employee and two Amiga computers to a printer who was funding efforts to
port Photo Shop from Apple to IBM. Amiga could talk to both but they
couldn't talk to each other.

So not underwater with Nokia. Did introduce Nokia to Navteq though. Have
both a Lumia 920 and a Galaxy and the 920 blows the Galaxy away. Have a 24"
Canon IPF6320 printer and cropped a pic from the 920 of my brothers family
to 1/3rd of image and printed it 22" x 30" and it is awesome. Always
wondered when digital would catch up with analog Kodachrome. I think it has
with latest like the Lumia 1020. Considering what I can do with the 920 at
8.7 MP the 1020 at 41 MP is insane. Take a look at the pics AND videos from
it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygxfak1O2gE

In the introductory presentation of the 1020 they show a haystack and zoom
in to find a needle and then zoom in on the eye of the needle.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The new Apple is Nokia with the introduction of the Lumia 1020 all a
> reporter needs is a 1020 to take, crop, edit and send images that rival the
> best cameras. And soon they will have a tablet, laptop and phablet to do
> the same with the same 41 MP capacity.
>
> Are we really supposed to take this seriously?
>
> Or is this just an opportunity to stir the pudding?
>
> I saw a few things this morning that may help to put Bob's comments into
> proper perspective.
>

> http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/07/thoughts-on-apple-and-google-talks-new-camera-trends.html
>
> Will Apple Join the Higher-end Camera-Phone Trend
>
> People are increasingly using either a DSLR camera or a smartphone to
> capture life's little moments. Small, cheap digital cameras are being
> replaced by the phones in everyone's pockets. This weekNokia introduced the
> Lumina 1020 with a camera grip. The new camera offers super high resolution
> pictures at 38 megapixels that you'll be able to edit on your phone.
>
> Stephen Elop, Nokia's chief executive, claimed "We want to take people on
> a journey from capturing pictures to recording and sharing their lives."
>
> Samsung introduced their design winning Galaxy 4S Zoom a few weeks earlier
> which combines an advanced camera with a zoom lens and smartphone.
>
> There are times like the summer in general, on holidays specifically and
> at concerts most definitely where a more powerful camera would be
> appreciated. Many people today own multiple iPods and multiple cameras, so
> it's not going to be a strain or a big leap for consumers to consider
> having another iPod or iPhone with a super camera.
>
> I love taking pictures and videos in the Rockies, but it's a little
> awkward at times. An iPod or iPhone with a larger display and camera grip
> would put my DSL to rest finally, especially with a zoom lens that is
> sorely lacking on today's iOS based cameras.
>
> Would Apple be copying others already on the market today with such
> devices? Not at all. Apple has been on record since 2009 concerning a
> possible standalone camera and have been working on various aspects of such
> a camera ever since. One notable feature is an electro-mechanical shutter
> control associated with "dedicated high-end digital cameras," according to
> one of Apple's granted patents.
>
> With Apple's Aperture software already in place, a higher end hybrid
> camera-iDevice is certainly not out of the question down the road. The
> question becomes: would you like to see Apple enter the higher end camera
> market?
>
> -----
>
> It takes more than a dense CMOS image sensor to capture high quality
> stills and video. The lens is a very significant factor, which it appears
> is now gaining some attention, at least from Samsung (the Lumia 1020 has a
> fixed lens with digital zoom into all those pixels).

> [...]

Bob Miller
954-551-1217
3111 N. Ocean Dr. Apt 1607
Hollywood Beach Florida 33019