[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: What is the reality of UHDTV/4KTV today?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:24:01 -0400

On Jul 9, 2013, at 5:36 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> My thinking is that in an initial period, broadcasters wouldn't need to
> transmit 4K at all, not even upconverted 4K. In the early days, any
> upconverting is done in the TV set itself.

We are just beginning to deliver programming that takes full advantage of what
HDTV has to offer. Most OTT streaming is EDTV at best; thankfully, interlace is
disappearing from the Internet.

For traditional TV content 4K may make sense as an acquisition format. But for
distribution, especially with improved codecs, one could hope that everyone
will do a better job of encoding HDTV, rather than delivering "artifact
enhanced" UDTV.