[opendtv] Re: Louisiana governor blasts faulty wireless networks

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:16:04 -0400

Nat Ostroff wrote:

> If there was ever an example of the value of the
> analog TV signal in an emergency we have seen it
> this week. What will become of TV when it is only
> a cable delivered service with very marginal over
> the air capability to poorly designed DTV tuners?
>
> Are battery powered "rabbit ear" portable DTV
> receivcers even in the pipeline for 2009?  Or
> ever?

Ditto with digital radio.

I'd say one possibility is a change in paradigm,
where that portable battery powered role will be
taken over by cell phone TV reception, using
dedicated streams just for such devices. This could
be DVB-H, either in frequencies separate from DTT,
as we would have here, or sharing spectrum with DTT,
as in DVB-T countries. Or the equivalent Qualcomm
Mediaflow (?) scheme.

Another is that CMOS device design efforts to reduce
drain in high speed devices will bear fruit, allowing
digital radio and TV receivers to receive wide
digital streams without having to rely on high drain.