[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:15:37 -0800

Discussing things with you is folly; you only look back, never forward.

And, you hold several false memes, including "the implied requirement for
HD".  There was never such a thing, implied or otherwise.  I know; I sat
through days and days of hearings and floor debates in the House and Senate
(via C-SPAN).

Indeed, I'd say that at least 1/3 of DTV stations never show HDTV, and don't
even have an encoder capable of HDTV.

Nor do I have a clue as to what this "mobile 8-VSB debate" was or where it
was held.  Was it between you and Bert?

The spirit and explicit language of DTV before the Congress was that digital
television would enable broadcasters to transmit high-quality digital
signals, and that they could use their digital spectrum for new and
innovative services, including ones that had yet to be thought of.  M/H
would fit into that; DVB cannot, since it's a different form of modulation.
There was also (foolish) talk about digital paging and telephone via DTV.

However, the EXPLICIT requirement was that broadcasters would always have to
use their digital channel to transmit at least one at least NTSC-equivalent
(the FCC has morphed this into one SDTV-equivalent) signal in the clear with
their digital facilities.

If the requirement was MPEG-2/A-53/A-52, this is why your
DVB-in-the-USA-using-broadcast-facilities was dead on arrival before
Congress: you wanted something else, which would have required new
legislation; not merely an FCC proceeding.

You aren't just talking about how good the old lightbulb was, you are
talking about how good the old lightbulb could have been, if, if, if, if,
if, if, if.

DVB-H and DVB-T2 are basically dead or badly bleeding.  But, you pine for
them.  The only commercial mobile tv systems in the world use a different
form of communication, and are only in operation due to government mandates
and dedicated slices of spectrum.

Time and progress has moved on.  You have not.

John Willkie