[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:25:56 -0500

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Willkie wrote:
>
> It might work for Cliff, but I suspect he would have
> serious concerns, because it ain't analog.
>

> You greatly misunderstand my interest in digital television. For me it is
> simply a means to an end.
>
> As a collector and restorer of  TV sets made from 1946 through 1956, my
> interest in digital TV
> is solely as a way to get "studio" quality video into them so they display
> really great pictures.
> When DTV works, it is really great, and the old color sets make very fine
> pictures with it.
>
> As to my constant complaining about how well digital doesn't work, I will
> not accept the poor performance
> of a system that stops me from getting information I want or need.
>
> Digital does not work when it needs to.
>
> Tonight, for instance, I could not get the weather BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER.
>
> But, tuning in on a 10 inch B&W TV from 1948 with a UHF converter and rabbit
> ears, I watched the weather from a
> local analog UHF station. It was snowy, but the sound was intelligible and I
> got the INFORMATION I needed.
> Do you 'get' my meaning?
>
> The FCC that approved NTSC color on December 17, 1953, is certainly not the
> FCC we have today.
> That older FCC would not have approved our present DTV system.

The FCC that did approve our present DTV system actually approved the
PROMISE of  a working 8-VSB. An 8-VSB that would work mobile and
fixed. That would be "fixed" within six months to a year of the
fraudulent test results showed that no matter the lies they told about
DVB-T there was NO doubt that the 8-VSB of 2001 was not good enough.

That FCC allowed and then closed its eyes to a fraudulent test of and
comparison to DVB-T run by the industry and CEA manufacturers. That
FCC then blindly and politically affirmed 8-VSB in 2001.

That FCC was 99% a political animal while the one that approved NTSC
was more likely a technically oriented one.

Now we have the political animals that ran the FCC in the goof up
years telling us that they know something about how to handle the
"train wreck" they wrought. And they have it right when they call it a
train wreck.

Bob Miller