[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:49:09 -0500

John Willkie wrote:
It might work for Cliff, but I suspect he would have
serious concerns, because it ain't analog.
You greatly misunderstand my interest in digital television. For me it is simply a means to an end.

As a collector and restorer of TV sets made from 1946 through 1956, my interest in digital TV is solely as a way to get "studio" quality video into them so they display really great pictures. When DTV works, it is really great, and the old color sets make very fine pictures with it.

As to my constant complaining about how well digital doesn't work, I will not accept the poor performance
of a system that stops me from getting information I want or need.

Digital _does not work when it needs to_.

Tonight, for instance, I could not get the weather BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER.

But, tuning in on a 10 inch B&W TV from 1948 with a UHF converter and rabbit ears, I watched the weather from a local analog UHF station. It was snowy, but the sound was intelligible and I got the INFORMATION I needed.
Do you 'get' my meaning?

The FCC that approved NTSC color on December 17, 1953, is certainly not the FCC we have today.
That older FCC would not have approved our present DTV system.