[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:19:08 -0500

Well first it only would qualify if they used MPEG2 by current law
right? Then as I understand it all legacy receivers could receive the
signal but not take advantage of the better reception of M/H. Of
course M/H with 1/4 and MPEG2 would definitely kill HD on the 8-VSB
side. I think you agree with that.

What a bastardized system that would be.

Still the worst of all possible DTV worlds.

If they allowed M/H with MPEG4 then they are breaking the rules and
making all legacy receivers obsolete. At that point we, again, might
as well consider all modulations and codecs. I wouldn't mind if an
advanced version of 8-VSB won that contest.

As far as I am concerned they are breaking the "spirit" of the rules
with M/H if it is used with MPEG4 already.

As far as broadcasters weathering the storm of changing modulations,
it is a toss up IMO, can they weather the storm of NOT changing
modulations is the question.

If broadcasters banded together and offered a decent combination of
programming that could compete with cable in a given market, using say
DVB-T2 and the latest codec set to work mobile and fixed the public
would not see this as another uninteresting OTA deadend but a brand
new idea that made sense and could save them some money.

There are not that many who are paying that much attention to OTA
today. And those who are are not the prime demographic IMO.

I know I would like to see an offering of say 20 free OTA DTV channels
and an option of 30 more via subscription and maybe a PPV option. If I
don't get something like that I know my cable or FIOS days are
numbered anyway. Just got FIOS here on Roosevelt Island in my building
but am holding off on the change since for some reason they don't have
MSNBC. Seems CableVision has a monopoly on that channel here.

In any case Verizon has not responded to a number of calls on the
subject which reminds me how bad Verizon service can be. Reason enough
to delay.

Bob Miller