[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:09:08 -0500

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Miller wrote:
>
>> Then as I understand it all legacy receivers could receive the
>> signal but not take advantage of the better reception of M/H.
>
> Actually, all legacy receivers receive, but simply ignore, the M/H
> streams. Your confusion is probably caused by the misleading figures in
> A/153.

Legacy receivers ignore the M/H streams and therefore can't take
advantage of them. How's that?

> Everything arrives in correctly formed MPEG-2 TS packets. Those with M/H
> headers are ignored by legacy receivers. And the M/H MPEG-2 TS frames
> are carefully spaced so as not to jiggle the legacy MPEG-2 TS frames too
> far out of their expected time slots.
>
>> If they allowed M/H with MPEG4 then they are breaking the
>> rules and making all legacy receivers obsolete.
>
> No. M/H does use what you call MPEG-4. As long as this doesn't break
> legacy receivers, no problem.

Wouldn't be more correct to say that M/H can use both MPEG2 and MPEG4
but that legacy receivers cannot use MPEG4? And since the rules say
that the required SD program in the free and clear must be delivered
with MPEG2 that Congress or the FCC cannot allow the required SD
program to be delivered with MPEG4 without changing the rules? If they
change the rules they are making all legacy receivers obsolete. All
legacy receivers would not be able to receive the required SD program
since it is MPEG4.

I am ONLY talking about John's idea of delivering the required SD free
OTA program, nothing else.

If it is ALLOWED then it has to be in MPEG2. To make it really robust
and really useful it would make sense to use 1/4. If you use 1/4,
MPEG2 and M/H I don't think you have room for an HD program in the
remaining 8-VSB bits.

If so every promise of the original plan, the spirit of the transition is gone.

If you change the codec used for the required SD program you have
changed the whole game and made all legacy receivers obsolete. If you
have done that you might as well start all over. You are already
requiring a new receiver to replace every legacy receiver. You are
already requiring broadcasters to add M/H equipment. Why not just
start over with a far better modulation and codec that would be used
for the entire 6 MHz?

Think of it, if you go with M/H for the SD required program and are
left with a bit starved non HD 8-VSB program why not just use all the
6 Mhz with M/H and MPEG4? How many bits would that give you? Maybe you
could do HD with M/H.

Of course everyone would need a new receiver and modulator and at that
point why not just go with the BEST modulation instead of M/H?

Going with M/H sensibly is the same as starting over IMO.

Bob Miller