[opendtv] Re: Kennard and Powell to the rescue

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:26:51 -0500

John Willkie wrote:
> However, there is some room for maneuvering.  Imagine, for example, if
> error-free ATSC M/H transmissions could qualify as the free, SDTV-equivalent
> transmissions required under the Act.

I think that would still basically be 8vsb, with any limitations that implied. Most specifically, if 8vsb requires more FEC overhead (unproven, but possible) than others then the actual payload of the rest of the stream would also suffer.

Note however a very low bit rate and generally non-receivable SDTV stream also qualifies as the minimum. But the rest is still 8vsb, possibly with some extra training and FEC support.

So if 8vsb is good then only a small amount is needed for the minimum SDTV stream and the rest is gravy. And if 8vsb is not good then the rest of the stream is probably questionable no matter what you do.

1 month.

- Tom

What is this, an annual unthinking pronouncement of yours?   You've been
predicting such radical changes for about 9 years, and none has happened.
It certainly won't happen on your suggestion.

If the modulation scheme doesn't work well enough, a new modulation scheme
won't replace 8-vsb; television will just die, becoming non-existent in a
media world with many new choices.

Nobody wants to replace the embedded base of receivers, Bob.  No broadcaster
will want to signal that receivers need to be replaced, since broadcasters
will be blamed for the message and cost of such replacement.
However, there is some room for maneuvering.  Imagine, for example, if
error-free ATSC M/H transmissions could qualify as the free, SDTV-equivalent
transmissions required under the Act.  I don't want to think too much about
what would have to come about to make this something broadcasters and their
viewers desired, but it is within the realm of possibility.  However, such a
position would need to be nuanced; it obsoletes the billions of dollars that
consumers have spent on digital television sets and stbs.

John Willkie