[opendtv] Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:45:18 -0500

Definition of portable and mobile being...?
William Smith wrote:

>So far the only portable and mobile receiver (if you want to call them
>that) are the Mini ITX PC systems we are building as datacast units with
>BBTI cards. (The Tuner App will decode and display HD). They do run on
>12V.. Batteries not included..
>

>Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>

>>William Smith wrote:
>>

>>>IMHO The modulation standard is strangling the business
>>>model.
>>>
>>>LG claims to have the secret to 8-VSB (they should they
>>>own it) but refuses to make the solution available (except
>>>to be waved around in Congressional Hearings).
>>>

>>Actually, LG does build their good stuff into integrated TV sets, but
>>only goes that far. So this is only useful to those who, so far, have
>>been buying relatively expensive and large sets. It's of no use to those
>>who already have TVs, even good ones. And it doesn't provide those
>>all-important PVRs and DVDRs, either. So the good stuff is being kept in
>>the closet.
>>
>>But it's real, and that's another one of my peeves. It's not cold
>>fusion. I see this pretense that it doesn't exist as just another excuse
>>for broadcasters to go blaming someone else for their own lack of
>>involvement.
>>
>>Furthermore, there are other companies that provide good chipsets:
>>Micronas, STMicroelectronics, ATI, and Samsung (that last one might not
>>yet be at full production, who knows?).
>>
>>It is up to *broadcasters* and their NAB to inform themselves of these
>>details, test them out, scream and shout if CE manufacturers aren't
>>providing the goods, or if they see funny business is going on. Is
>>someone getting paid off for keeping this stuff off the market? Or is it
>>just bean counters that see "no demand"? If yes to either of these, then
>>what makes you think a modulation change would change that?
>>

>>>LG committed to building the magic $50 decoders If Congress
>>>would set a hard date.. The date has been set .. Where are
>>>the units? Anyone else who grandstanded like that would be
>>>held in contempt of Congress.
>>>

>>I agree with you there, 100 percent. Where are they? And who should
>>answer that question? Bureaucrats? In whose interest is it to get that
>>stuff out there so DTT works well?
>>

>>>Fixed, mobile and portable are the future... fixed only is
>>>dead..
>>>

>>Fixed exists and is used a lot. Far from "dead." Market saturation does
>>not translate to "dead." Lack of media hype does not mean "dead." The
>>media can only hype up what is brand new, and best of all, what they
>>don't really understand.
>>
>>Portable sets, e.g. plug-in type portables, can be supported by good
>>ATSC receivers as well as any DVB-T receiver. The power draw is an issue
>>regarless of ATSC or DVB-T. Again, PC lap-top type of solutions
>>(rechargeable ~2 hour battery) can certainly work in this type of device
>>for the time being, until power reduction solutions make it to the CMOS
>>market.

> [...]

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace
as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ George Washington ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580