[opendtv] Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:47:30 -0500

Those ITX boards actually can be ordered with DC power inputs (complete
with auto shut-off/ignition kill/etc). Just use a PCI tuner board in the
case. But even so, its still a PC and you're going to have trouble when
driving around because neither the case or hard drive or components
inside are built with auto-use in mind (i.e.
shock-proofing/vibration/airflow). ITX cases also can't hold up against
heat, and the PCI tuner card will cook the hard drive and CPU no matter
where you put it in a car.

Cheers
Kon

> If all you want is a "mobile" ATSC receiver, simply plug a (nominal
20-30 watts) OTA STB into one of those small and very inexpensive
12VDC/120VAC Inverters.
> Of course, it will only work when you are parked and you might need
more than a simple indoor loop antenna or roof mounted omni, depending
on how far away from broadcast towers you park your RV.

>                     <holl_ands>
>
> PS: Reminds me of back in '66 when I temporarily installed my first
Heathkit FM Stereo (WOW STEREO) receiver in the car by wiring the
battery directly (via diode) onto the output of the AC power supply.

> The result: FLUP-FLUP-FLUP-FLUP.....a sound I NEVER hear in my Volvo's
dual-diversity FM receiver.
> But even with diversity, mobile ATSC may still be iffy....
>
>                                  <holl_ands>

> William Smith <wsmith@xxxxxxx> wrote: So far the only portable and
mobile receiver (if you want to call them