[opendtv] Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:04:41 -0500

Mark Aitken wrote:

>There has been an ongoing discussion (under the radar of most) as to
>whether (or not) there should be a "plan" to move the OTA Broadcast
>industry towards a "standardized" availability (and use) of new codecs.
>There are plenty of arguments on all sides (not just two for this
>argument). Some points to consider...
>    * Syndicators are well along in their planning for distribution of
>      file based HDTV content in new codecs
>    * New codecs are becoming more and more prevalent in the
>      entertainment industry
>    * There does not exist (yet) efficient MPEG2/MPEG4/VC1 transcoders
>      (and certainly no Chinese AVS :-) )
>    * Bandwidth is a strongly protected/utilized asset
>    * What would the codec(s) be?
>
>What would seem to be reasonable answers to the many prevailing
>questions in such a discussion (advanced codec utilization in OTA
>Broadcasting)? Just thought I would get the response of this audience
>wrt this (important to me...) plaguing issue. Any thoughts?  [:^)]

Could it be a not too distant reality that virtually all "TV" sets come
with Chinese receivers built in based on DMB-T and AVS?

They all come that way because China makes them for the Chinese market
primarily and they cost so little that they just leave them in. And they
leave some room for "other" receivers to be installed as their
destinations are decided.

Interesting article on the state of 8-VSB in Korea also.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200602/kt2006022119010711880.htm

"``For some reason, Koreans have taken up digital TV at a much slower
pace than expected. We need special policy packages in order to
accelerate a shift to the high-definition TV,’’ MIC Director General
Shin Yong-sup said.

Prof. Lee Hyuck-jae at the state-backed Information Communication
University points out that the government is responsible for the slow
deployment of digital TV here.

``Makers of electronics goods struggle to sell digital TV in Korea
because the country launched the services too late due to futile debates
on the national standard,’’ Lee said.

Indeed, Korea wasted almost four years from 2001 to 2004 attempting to
fix the national standard for transmitting digital TV signals."

How does launching late affect slow sales today in any case?

They didn't launch too late, they launched on time but their
broadcasters refused to go on air. Now their public is balking.

So bring out the MANDATES and deadlines ala the US, that should work.

As I have said before the cost to S. Korea in lost sales, profits and
time in picking 8-VSB will far surpass any possible royalty windfall LG
"might" have harvested. Maybe they are just starting to realize that. I
wonder what this diversion will cost them in world sales they could have
made if they had focused on DVB-T instead of 8-VSB. After all LG is
selling HD COFDM receivers in the itty bitty market of OZ.

Bob Miller