[opendtv] Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:28:06 -0800 (PST)

If all you want is a "mobile" ATSC receiver, simply plug a (nominal 20-30
watts) OTA STB into one of those small and very inexpensive 12VDC/120VAC
Inverters.
Of course, it will only work when you are parked and you might need more than a
simple indoor loop antenna or roof mounted omni, depending on how far away from
broadcast towers you park your RV.

                    <holl_ands>

PS: Reminds me of back in '66 when I temporarily installed my first Heathkit FM
Stereo (WOW STEREO) receiver in the car by wiring the battery directly (via
diode) onto the output of the AC power supply.

The result: FLUP-FLUP-FLUP-FLUP.....a sound I NEVER hear in my Volvo's
dual-diversity FM receiver.
But even with diversity, mobile ATSC may still be iffy....

                                 <holl_ands>

William Smith <wsmith@xxxxxxx> wrote: So far the only portable and mobile
receiver (if you want to call them
that) are the Mini ITX PC systems we are building as datacast units with
BBTI cards. (The Tuner App will decode and display HD). They do run on
12V.. Batteries not included..