[opendtv] Re: How important are new Codecs wrt OTA Broadcasting?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:47:42 -0500

Don Moore wrote:

> We've allowed cable and satellite to replace our
> transmitters to the point where they (cable and
> satellite) are wanting direct, raw, un-compressed
> feeds so they can provide the best signal for their
> subscribers.

Who's "we," white man?

Seriously, though, broadcasters can certainly help speed up their own
demise. I can think of no better way than continuing to blame a
modulation standard for their own lack of enthusiasm/initiative.

I don't know whether Korea is a cable TV culture, like the US, Germany,
and Benelux countries, or whether it's more an OTA culture like France,
Italy, and the UK. If it's an OTA culture, then providing more OTA
programming, and better OTA image quality, would be a draw to DTT. If
it's a cable TV culture, these new features don't seem to create a big
stir all by themselves.

Still, in spite of all the negativity, there seems to be a steady 15
percent or so of households here that don't go to subscription TV, and
an extra healthy percentage of sets, probably more than another 15
percent, that also rely on OTA distribution. So in principle, there's no
call for the constant barrage of negativity.

Also, there is no country I know of where DTT is taking over in a
convincing manner. Even in the OTA countries, governments are having to
force the issue at some point, and seem loathe to do so.