[opendtv] Re: Garrison Keillor: Talk about obscenity

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:33:03 -0700

and, you thought I was talking about equal time?

By the way, the headline is wrong, since there is litle or no obscenity on
TV, but there is more than a bit of indecency.  In the broadcast content
context, IIRC, there has NEVER been a broadcast that was ruled obscene.  The
difference is that obscenity leads to almost automatic license revocation.

Perhaps you are using the term obscenity in it's proletarian and not
broadcast content definition?  Profanity is the broadcast-content equivalent
of what most people call obscenity.

I could have held your hand, Mark, and pointed out that licensees have never
been held liable in an FCC matter for carrying the live comments of a bona
fide candidate for elective public office IN A BONA-FIDE newscast, but I
thought that wouldn't be needed.  The trouble always lies in non-newscasts.
That's why Larry King Live has bona-fide newscast status.

This is DESPITE what the breast-engorged FCC is saying now.  They have very
little to say about the content of broadcasts -- aside fron indecency, etc.
They have even less to say about newscasts, as broadcasters have limited
First Amendment rights, thanks to Robert Packwood, et all. (Right before his
fall.)